Re: [HACKERS] Letting the client choose the protocol to use during aSASL exchange - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Letting the client choose the protocol to use during aSASL exchange
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 04/06/2017 11:16 PM, Simon Riggs wrote:
>> or it
>> can just ignore the list and send what it wants anyway, probably leading
>> to client disconnect.
> It would need to follow one of the requested protocols, but mark the
> request as doomed. Otherwise we'd be revealing information. That's
> what SCRAM does now.

It's not a secret today, what authentication method the server requires.
You can't really hide it, anyway, as the client could probe with
different lists of supported methods, and see which method the server
picks in each case.

- Heikki