Re: SQL works but same function is confused - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bui, Michelle P
Subject Re: SQL works but same function is confused
Date
List pgsql-general
Thanks Tom and Adrian - Here are my SQL and the function:

SELECT category, v_status as status, count (tool_id) AS tool_count
FROM
    (SELECT distinct category, tool_id, 'active' as v_status
                                  FROM tools
                                 WHERE time >= 123456
      UNION
                SELECT distinct e1.category, e1.tool_id, 'inactive' as v_status
                FROM tools e1
                WHERE not exists
                                (SELECT e2.category, e2.tool_id
                                FROM tools e2
                                WHERE e2.sim_time >= 123456
                                AND e2.category = e1.category
                                AND e2.tool_id = e1.tool_id)
   ) AS derived_table
GROUP BY category, Status

And here is the function:
CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION get_status
RETURNS TABLE (category SMALLINT, status TEXT, tool_count BIGINT) AS
$BODY$

#variable_conflict use_variable
DECLARE
v_status TEXT;
BEGIN
    RETURN QUERY SELECT category, v_status as status, count (tool_id) AS tool_count
    FROM
    (SELECT distinct category, tool_id, 'active' as v_status
FROM tools
                                 WHERE time >= 123456
                                UNION
                SELECT distinct e1.category, e1.tool_id, 'inactive' as v_status
                FROM tools e1
                WHERE not exists
                                (SELECT e2.category, e2.tool_id
                                FROM tools e2