Re: Support for NSS as a libpq TLS backend - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Daniel Gustafsson
Subject Re: Support for NSS as a libpq TLS backend
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On 17 Feb 2021, at 02:02, Jacob Champion <pchampion@vmware.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 2020-07-20 at 15:35 +0200, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
>> This version adds support for sslinfo on NSS for most the functions.
>
> I've poked around to see what can be done about the
> unimplemented ssl_client_dn_field/ssl_issuer_field functions. There's a
> nasty soup of specs to wade around in, and it's not really clear to me
> which ones take precedence since they're mostly centered on LDAP.

Thanks for digging!

> we could hardcode the list of OpenSSL-compatible names, and just
> translate manually in sslinfo. Then leave the rest up to dotted-decimal
> OIDs.
>
> Would that be desirable, or do we want this interface to be something
> more generally compatible with (some as-of-yet unspecified) spec?

Regardless of approach taken I think this sounds like something that should be
tackled in a follow-up patch if the NSS patch is merged - and probably only as
a follow-up to a patch that adds test coverage to sslinfo.  From the sounds of
things me may not be able to guarantee stability across OpenSSL versions as it
is right now?