Re: Support contracts (was Re: Commercial support?) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dustin Sallings
Subject Re: Support contracts (was Re: Commercial support?)
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thursday, Aug 14, 2003, at 06:27 US/Pacific, Bruno Wolff III wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 17:46:59 -0700,
>   Dustin Sallings <dustin@spy.net> wrote:
>>
>>     While I personally would want to keep a low profile if I were as
>> impressive a resource as some of the people on this list, I can say
>> for
>> certain that I've got good answers to difficult questions (with
>> patches) from Tom Lane far faster than I've got worthless answers to
>> simple questions while on contract with competing database vendors.
>
> But Tom Lane doesn't scale. As Postgres becomes more popular, it will
> be
> harder to get personal attention from him. Something could also happen
> to him that would prevent or greatly reduce his capacity for helping
> people out.

    Absolutely...my point wasn't, ``Hey, why do I need support, we've got
Tom Lane!''  I didn't specifically ask him for help the time I'd
mentioned, he just happened to be the one who responded when I sent a
particular message to a list.  Other people on this list have shown to
be extremely helpful in spreading their knowledge in the past.

    The basic point is that I've got less from people who were paid to
help me in general than people who just enjoy being helpful.

    BTW, I'm not trying to put any particular Tom Lane who may be
listening on the spot.

    That said, when VirtualTom comes out, someone let me know.

--
Dustin Sallings