Re: test_fsync label adjustments - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From A.M.
Subject Re: test_fsync label adjustments
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Jan 18, 2011, at 3:55 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> I have modified test_fsync to use test labels that match wal_sync_method
> values, and and added more tests for open_sync with different sizes.
> This should make the program easier for novices to understand.  Here is
> a test run for Ubuntu 11.04:
>
>     $ ./test_fsync
>     2000 operations per test
>
>     Compare file sync methods using one 8k write:
>     (in wal_sync_method preference order, except fdatasync
>     is Linux's default)
>             open_datasync (non-direct I/O)*    85.127 ops/sec
>             open_datasync (direct I/O)         87.119 ops/sec
>             fdatasync                          81.006 ops/sec
>             fsync                              82.621 ops/sec
>             fsync_writethrough                            n/a
>             open_sync (non-direct I/O)*        84.412 ops/sec
>             open_sync (direct I/O)             91.006 ops/sec
>     * This non-direct I/O mode is not used by Postgres.

I am curious how this is targeted at novices. A naive user might enable the "fastest" option which could be exactly
wrong.For this to be useful to novices, I suspect the tool will need to generate platform-specific suggestions, no?

Cheers,