Better Connection Statistics - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Shaun Thomas
Subject Better Connection Statistics
Date
Re: Better Connection Statistics  ("Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg@turnstep.com>)
List pgsql-general
Hi everyone,

So, I haven't ever heard of this, but I could be missing something. Is there a module or extension for PostgreSQL keep
connectionstatistics? I don't mean what's in pg_stat_activity, but cumulative. And not like what's in
pg_stat_statements,but about the connections themselves. Nor even pg_stat_database, since that's only granular at the
databaselevel.

For instance, I want the number of transactions a specific connection has submitted. The number of queries. Total
amountof CPU time consumed, etc. So far as I know, there is no module, statistic, or view that provides any of this. It
occurredto me after one of our NOC guys asked us if a certain machine was spamming us with queries, and I realized I
didn'tknow, and had no way of finding out. The best I can do is see if any are currently, this very second, executing
something.If the connection happens to be between transactions when I poll pg_stat_statements, I get nothing.

I know pg_pool and pg_bouncer provide info like this, but we don't use those. Is there anything internal to PG that
can...eventually get it?

--
Shaun Thomas
OptionsHouse | 141 W. Jackson Blvd | Suite 500 | Chicago IL, 60604