Re: Strange syntax with select - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Charles Clavadetscher
Subject Re: Strange syntax with select
Date
List pgsql-general

Hello

I am not in clear what your use case is, but you may have a look at that:

http://www.depesz.com/2013/02/25/variables-in-sql-what-how-when/

The bottom line is that in a psql interactive session you cannot really set a variable as the result of a select statement (or at least I did not fine a way). Instead, depending on what you actually want to achieve, you may use a workaround storing a statement or part of it in a variable.

Here an example:

db=> create table test (id int);

CREATE TABLE

db => insert into test select generate_series(1,10);

INSERT 0 10

db => \set testvar 'sum(id) from test'

db => select :testvar;

sum