Re: xact_start meaning when dealing with procedures? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Vik Fearing
Subject Re: xact_start meaning when dealing with procedures?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 09/08/18 20:13, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 09/08/2018 19:57, hubert depesz lubaczewski wrote:
>> I just noticed that when I called a procedure that commits and rollbacks
>> - the xact_start in pg_stat_activity is not updated. Is it intentional?
>
> It's an artifact of the way this is computed.  The reported transaction
> timestamp is the timestamp of the first top-level statement of the
> transaction.  This assumes that transactions contain statements, not the
> other way around, like it is now possible.  I'm not sure what an
> appropriate improvement would be here.

That would just mean that query_start would be older than xact_start,
but that's okay because the displayed query would be a CALL so we'll
know what's going on.
--
Vik Fearing                                          +33 6 46 75 15 36