Re: [patch] CLUSTER blocks scanned progress reporting - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Fujii Masao
Subject Re: [patch] CLUSTER blocks scanned progress reporting
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 2020/11/25 0:25, Matthias van de Meent wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Nov 2020 at 15:05, Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@oss.nttdata.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 2020/11/21 2:32, Matthias van de Meent wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> The pg_stat_progress_cluster view can report incorrect
>>> heap_blks_scanned values when synchronize_seqscans is enabled, because
>>> it allows the sequential heap scan to not start at block 0. This can
>>> result in wraparounds in the heap_blks_scanned column when the table
>>> scan wraps around, and starting the next phase with heap_blks_scanned
>>> != heap_blks_total. This issue was introduced with the
>>> pg_stat_progress_cluster view.
>>
>> Good catch! I agree that this is a bug.
>>

>>> The attached patch fixes the issue by accounting for a non-0
>>> heapScan->rs_startblock and calculating the correct number with a
>>> non-0 heapScan->rs_startblock in mind.
>>
>> Thanks for the patch! It basically looks good to me.
>
> Thanks for the feedback!
>
>> It's a bit waste of cycles to calculate and update the number of scanned
>> blocks every cycles. So I'm inclined to change the code as follows.
>> Thought?
>>
>> +       BlockNumber     prev_cblock = InvalidBlockNumber;
>> <snip>
>> +                       if (prev_cblock != heapScan->rs_cblock)
>> +                       {
>> +                               pgstat_progress_update_param(PROGRESS_CLUSTER_HEAP_BLKS_SCANNED,
>> +                                                                                        (heapScan->rs_cblock +
>> +                                                                                         heapScan->rs_nblocks -
>> +                                                                                         heapScan->rs_startblock
>> +                                                                                                ) %
heapScan->rs_nblocks+ 1);

>> +                               prev_cblock = heapScan->rs_cblock;
>> +                       }
>
> That seems quite reasonable.
>
> I noticed that with my proposed patch it is still possible to go to
> the next phase while heap_blks_scanned != heap_blks_total. This can
> happen when the final heap pages contain only dead tuples, so no tuple
> is returned from the last heap page(s) of the scan. As the
> heapScan->rs_cblock is set to InvalidBlockNumber when the scan is
> finished (see heapam.c#1060-1072), I think it would be correct to set
> heap_blks_scanned to heapScan->rs_nblocks at the end of the scan
> instead.

Thanks for updating the patch!

Please let me check my understanding about this. I was thinking that even
when the last page contains only dead tuples, table_scan_getnextslot()
returns the last page (because SnapshotAny is used) and heap_blks_scanned
is incremented properly. And then, heapam_relation_copy_for_cluster()
handles all the dead tuples in that page. No?

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
Advanced Computing Technology Center