Re: When to use PARTITION BY HASH? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ron
Subject Re: When to use PARTITION BY HASH?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 6/8/20 3:40 AM, Oleksandr Shulgin wrote:
[snip]
It says:

"Hash partitioning is useful when you want to partition a growing data
set evenly.  This can be useful to keep table sizes reasonable, which
makes maintenance operations such as VACUUM faster, or to enable
partition-wise join."

How does hashed (meaning "randomly?) distribution of records make partition-wise joins more efficient?

Or -- since I interpret that as having to do with "locality of data" -- am I misunderstanding the meaning of "partition-wise joins"?