Re: Uppercase version of ß desired - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Philip Semanchuk
Subject Re: Uppercase version of ß desired
Date
Re: Uppercase version of ß desired  (Celia McInnis <celia.mcinnis@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general

> On Mar 13, 2023, at 5:38 PM, Celia McInnis <celia.mcinnis@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> HI:
>
> I would be really happy if postgresql  had an upper case version of the ß german character. The wiki page
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%9F
>
> indicates that the capital (U+1E9E ẞ LATIN CAPITAL LETTER SHARP S) was encoded by ISO 10646 in 2008.
>
> BTW the reason that I'd like upper('ß') to give something different than 'ß'  is because I have written a simple
substitutionpuzzle for a large number of languages where I show the encrypted lower case words in upper case and the
successfulletter substitution submissions in lower case - so I need the upper and lower case versions of each letter to
bedifferent!

> Thanks for any assistance! Maybe I can hack what I want in python (which is what I am using for the puzzle).

Hi Celia,
I ran into this too back when we were transitioning from Python 2 to 3 (2 behaved differently from 3). While
researchingit I discovered this Python issue which maybe sheds some additional light on the subject:
https://github.com/python/cpython/issues/74993

We ultimately found 90 characters that (under Python 3) grew longer when uppercased.

python -c "print([c for c in range(0x80, 0x22ff) if len(chr(c)) != len(chr(c).upper())])”

I hope this is at least interesting. :-)

Cheers
Philip