Re: constraining chars for all cols of a table - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Johnston
Subject Re: constraining chars for all cols of a table
Date
List pgsql-general

Restrict access to the table (for inserts) to a function that does the verification and then executes the insert in addition to any kind of logging and “RAISE”ing you need.

If you need to validate existing data I’d probably just do some one-time verifications and updates where required.

A column “CHECK” constraint, however, seems like it should work just find if you use a regular expression – and I cannot imagine it would be that performance limiting.

Without a more specific model in mind choosing between different approaches is difficult.

David J.