Re: Select for update with offset interferes with concurrent transactions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Johnston
Subject Re: Select for update with offset interferes with concurrent transactions
Date
List pgsql-general
If random sampling is desirable would the following construct limit locking
only to the sampled rows?

SELECT id
FROM tasktable
WHERE id IN (SELECT random_id_sample())
FOR UPDATE

The "random_id_sample" would supply a configurable group of IDs off of
tasktable which the FOR UPDATE would then lock

I guess the issue remains that "random_id_sample()" would still end up
blocking if any of the rows it wants to return are already locked.

I too am using this basic protocol of maintaining state info within the
database and sending every query against it.  As I ponder this more it
really seems as if moving some of this logic into the application layer
would possibly make more sense in Yngve's situation (or at least something
to consider).  Continue to use the database as a persistence mechanism but
code the "dispatching" of tasks in the application layer and then as each
task is dispatched you simply do an "UPDATE table SET state = 'dispatch'
WHERE id = 'ID'" and a similar UPDATE when the task is returned completed.
This somewhat presumes you still only ever hand off one task at a time.  If
you are indeed handing off tasks in batches then it would make sense to have
a "batch" table and operate at the batch level instead of individual tasks -
assigning tasks to a given batch via some standard mechanism.

Either way if you truly want true parallel processing then you need to
create the parallel paths that can operate without clobbering each other and
thus each path needs to have its own pool of tasks since as soon as you have
a shared resource the only true way to make sure it is only allocated once
is to serialize access to it.  An alternative method would be to allow
multiple dispatches but have a "write-once" method that is called and sets
an immutable handler_id and then when the processing begins only the handler
with the matching id would be able allow to perform the actual processing.

I say the above with certainty but at the moment I am using and fairly happy
with my limited serialization - especially since I have specific
sub-properties that I can use to limit how many records are locked AND also
because the locking time is very short (I cap around 20 or so active tasks
to dispatch - and only infrequently at that) so my experience and insight to
high-demand situations is limited.

Dave