Re: logical replication launcher crash on buildfarm - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Petr Jelinek
Subject Re: logical replication launcher crash on buildfarm
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 28/03/17 17:55, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 11:20 PM, Petr Jelinek
> <petr.jelinek@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

>>> I wasn't thinking of introducing bgw_builtin_id.  My idea was just
>>> along the lines of
>>>
>>> if (bgw_library_name == NULL && bgw_function_name != NULL)
>>> {
>>>     if (strcmp(bgw_function_name, "ParallelQueryMain") == 0)
>>>        ParallelQueryMain(blah);
>>>     else if (strcmp(bgw_function_name, "LogicalReplicationMain") == 0)
>>>        LogicalReplicationMain(blah);
>>> }
>>>
>>> I think something like that is certainly better for the back-branches,
>>> because it doesn't cause an ABI break.  But I think it would also be
>>> fine for master.
>>>

>> I had something slightly more complex like the attached in mind.
>
> Seems broadly reasonable on a quick look, but I think we should leave
> bgw_main intact in 9.6.  It may be working for fine for people who
> don't care about Windows, and I'd rather not break it gratuitously.
> Can we have two patches, one of which converts the internal stuff to
> use the new mechanism and a second of which removes bgw_main?  The
> second one, at least, also needs to update the documentation.  (A good
> practice when removing an identifier is to run 'git grep
> thing_i_am_removing' after removing it...)

Yes I agree (and I said it in the thread) I plan to submit the 9.6 too,
I just sent what I had before having it all ready mainly because you
started talking about code already and I didn't want you to waste time
with it needlessly, but it was already 5AM for me ;).

Services