Re: pg_upgrade does not upgrade pg_stat_statements properly - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: pg_upgrade does not upgrade pg_stat_statements properly
Date
Re: pg_upgrade does not upgrade pg_stat_statements properly  ("David G. Johnston" <david.g.johnston@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 7/15/21 1:10 PM, David G. Johnston wrote:
> ... But while
> PostgreSQL doesn't really have a choice here - it cannot be expected to
> subdivide itself - extensions (at least external ones - PostGIS is one I
> have in mind presently) - can and often do attempt to support multiple
> versions of PostgreSQL for whatever major versions of their product they
> are offering.  For these it is possible to adhere to the "change one
> thing at a time principle" and to treat the extensions as not being part
> of "ALL the changes from one major version to the target version..."

You may make that exception for an external extension like PostGIS. But
I don't think it is valid for one distributed in sync with the core
system in the contrib package, like pg_stat_statements. Which happens to
be the one named in the subject line of this entire discussion.

Regards, Jan

--
Jan Wieck