Re: FW: Re: create temp in function - Mailing list pgsql-general

From aklaver@comcast.net (Adrian Klaver)
Subject Re: FW: Re: create temp in function
Date
List pgsql-general
From: "Kerri Reno" <kreno@yumaed.org>
> Adrian,
>
> I don't understand.  Why do I need to use execute?  It runs fine the first
> time.  The second time it bombs, because it's not seeing schedrec
> correctly.  Which part should be in an execute query statement?

plpgsql caches query plans. In versions prior to 8.3 this meant that the first time you ran a function the plans for
thestatements where cached for use by later runs of the function in the same session. The error you are getting about
OIDmissing means the function is looking for the OID of the temp table as it was cached in the first run and not
findingit. To get around this you need to EXECUTE the create temp table statement. This causes the plan not be cached
butrun anew for each call of the function. If you follow the link I included in the previous email you will see some
examples.

--
Adrian Klaver
aklaver@comcast.net