Re: Need help with SQL query and finding NULL array_agg - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Johnston
Subject Re: Need help with SQL query and finding NULL array_agg
Date
List pgsql-general

ARRAY_AGG() is never an empty array since there is always at least a single record that is going to be aggregated.  In
yourcase your array will have NULL "values" when phone numbers are missing but the upper bound will still show a
positivenumber.

SELECT array_upper(ARRAY[NULL]::varchar[], 1) == 1

You would need to write a custom aggregation that ignores NULL and thus could return an empty array if no valid phone
numbersare present.

The proper logic would be:

CASE WHEN array_upper(phone_agg, 1) = 1 AND phone_agg[1] IS NULL THEN ... END

You also likely want to use:

ARRAY_AGG(DISTINCT column) -- this makes sure duplicates are only present a single time and  ensure that an all-NULL
situationresults in a single element instead of one NULL for each input record.

Hopefully this help because I couldn't make heads nor tails as to what exactly your issue is.  The lack of input data,
thecurrent output, and the desired output limits my ability to understand and help.

One last comment:  I would generally avoid naming the output of an ARRAY_AGG(column) the same name as the input column.
I generally, at minimum, make the output column name plural to reflect the fact that it contains multiple values of
whateveris stored in the source column.

David J.