Re: How would you handle updating an item and related stuff all at once? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adam Rich
Subject Re: How would you handle updating an item and related stuff all at once?
Date
List pgsql-general
I'm not sure I understand completely, but here's one idea.
in the backend, when the user submits their changes:

1) Pull the current state of AccountEmployeeRelation for the
account you're working on
2) Compare the current state to what the user posted, and
determine what needs to be added and deleted (I use array_diff
in php for this) and obviously anything else should get
updated.
3) commit

This is nice because even if there's relations, if the user
makes 3 changes, the database only makes 3 changes, instead
of reloading the entire list.

If you're worried about concurrent users changing the same
accounts, you'll want to lock the account prior to step 1.
something like "Select * from Accounts where AccountID=$1
for update" should do nicely.