Re: Select all fields except one - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Vivek Khera
Subject Re: Select all fields except one
Date
Re: Select all fields except one  ("Merlin Moncure" <mmoncure@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general

On Nov 28, 2007, at 11:06 AM, Matt Doughty wrote:

Is there a way of selecting all fields except for one in particular? I'd like to create a query that says something like:

select * except fieldx

For best practices, you should never use select * in your queries.  You will inevitably end up with code that cannot deal with a schema change, and for any live system, you will have a schema change at some point...

It is best to explicitly list the field names your code is expecting.  Besides, I don't think you can do what you want to do with just SQL.