Re: [GENERAL] jsonb case insensitive search - Mailing list pgsql-general

From armand pirvu
Subject Re: [GENERAL] jsonb case insensitive search
Date
List pgsql-general
I apologize before hand replying again on my own reply . I know it is frowned upon . My inline comments.

> On Jun 1, 2017, at 2:05 PM, armand pirvu <armand.pirvu@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thank you Karl and David
>
> Ideally as far as I can tell the index would need to be show_id, file_id, lower(…)
>

> The question is if this is  possible ?
>

> Thanks
> Armand
>

>> On Jun 1, 2017, at 12:24 PM, Karl Czajkowski <karlcz@isi.edu> wrote:
>>
>> On May 31, armand pirvu modulated:
>>
>>> The idea is that I would like to avoid having an index for each key
>>> possibly wanted to search, but rather say have the whole record then
>>> search by the key and get the key value, thus having one index serving
>>> multiple purposes so to speak
>>>

>> First, benchmarking would be important to figure out if any proposed
>> indexing actually speeds up the kinds of queries you want to perform.
>> With the recently added parallel query features, a simpler indexing
>> scheme with some brute-force search might be adequate?

Not sure what you mean by benchmarking
But I think comparative times , aka 2 seconds vs a couple milliseconds is quite a difference.
A table scan while in certain cases is okay , in a case when there is heavy usage on the same part/area , it will
becomea problem.

>> But, you could use a search idiom like this:
>>
>>    (lower(json_column::text)::json) -> lower('key') = 'value'::json
>>
>> This will down-convert the case on all values and keys.  The left-hand
>> parenthetic expression could be precomputed in an expression index to
>> avoid repeated case conversion. But, typical searches will still have
>> to scan the whole index to perform the projection and match the final
>> value tests on the right-hand side.
>>
>> If you want to do things like substring matching on field values, you
>> might stick with text and using regexp matches:
>>
>>    (lower(json_column::text)) ~ ‘valuepattern'

In this case a regular index will be ignored even though IMO it should scan the index and get the needed information
The criteria I am after gets back 9 rows max out of 100k+ records so I say the restriction is darn good. Wouldn’t that
bethe case for the optimizer to pick the path with the least resistance aka best restriction ? Granted it uses a lower
functionwhich and the search in the text column which is the third in the index is not really starting form left. But
theindex starts with show_id , file_id and those are always part of the key. I can see though once the show_id, file_id
isNOT a good restriction anymore , than the last column will make the difference . Either case will that not translate
intoan index scan ? Or the index to be considered in this case, event the last column search has to follow the left to
right,aka not in between search ?

>> or more structural searches:
>>
>>    (lower(json_column::text)) ~ '"key": "[^"]*substring[^"]*"'
>>
>> Here, the left-hand expression could be trigram indexed to help with
>> sparse, substring matching without a full index scan.  We've had good
>> luck using trigram indexing with regexp matching, though I've honestly
>> never used it for the purpose sketched above...
>>
>> Karl

Seems to me trigram could be the answer since I have some decent results once I applied it, more to dig

Overall could it be that the optimizer blatantly ignores a scan index which is cheaper than a table scan, or jsonb
implementationstill has a long way to come up  or the way it is used in my case is not the one designed for ?

thanks
Armand