Re: Migration from other database systems to PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From Dave Page
Subject Re: Migration from other database systems to PostgreSQL
Date
Re: Migration from other database systems to PostgreSQL  (Andreas Pflug <pgadmin@pse-consulting.de>)
List pgadmin-hackers
Hi Jean-Michel,

There is an item on the todo list to create some more advanced data
management tools for pgAmdin. Andreas & I have discussed this briefly
and felt it would be a separate program to pgAdmin (though
packaged/distributed together) along the line of SQL Server's DTS.

I would like to allow some sort of source and target plugins with a
mapping/scriptable transformation service in between, perhaps using
embedded Python or Perl.

This would allow complete flexibility with the user being able to go to
or from any supported data type which should include (at least)
PostgreSQL (of course), CSV, ODBC and maybe XML.

In the meantime, whilst your docs will be useful, I think that a more
appropriate place for them is techdocs.postgresql.org...

Regards, Dave.