Re: I/O - Increase RAM - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Mike Sofen
Subject Re: I/O - Increase RAM
Date
List pgsql-general
|From: John R Pierce  Sent: Wednesday, April 13, 2016 1:53 PM
|
|On 4/13/2016 1:43 PM, drum.lucas@gmail.com wrote:
|> At the moment I'm having 100% I/O during the day. My server has SATA
|> HDs, and it can't be changed now.
|> So, to solve the problem (or at least try) I was thinking about double
|> the RAM, and by doing that, increasing the cache.
|
|depends on if its read or write IO.   many of our database servers are
|nearly 100% write IO, only thing that will speed that up is faster disks and/or
|more disks in raid10.
|--
|john r pierce, recycling bits in santa cruz

Agree with John and also add that if your READ queries or data model are not optimized then you could throw a TB of ram
atit and see no difference.  You need to analyze your queries and find out WHY there's so much i/o.  It sounds like
thrashto me...so you need to do some homework and get the behaviors sorted out, then it should become obvious what
needsfixing.

Mike