Problem with timestamp - Pls help - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Kumar
Subject Problem with timestamp - Pls help
Date
Re: Problem with timestamp - Pls help  (Stephan Szabo <sszabo@megazone.bigpanda.com>)
Re: Problem with timestamp - Pls help  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-sql
Dear Friends,

I am using Postgres 7.3.4 on Linux server 7.3.

I wanted to update one column of my table with now() or timestamp. And I want that timestamp of format ------------------------
 2003-09-19 18:39:08.13

To achieve this I have used the following

wats=# select now();
             now
------------------------------
 2003-09-19 18:39:58.62398+00
(1 row)

wats=# select substr(now(),1,22);
         substr
------------------------
 2003-09-19 18:40:01.25
(1 row)

wats=# select timestamp(substr(now(),1,22));
ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "substr" at character 18
wats=# select to_timestamp(substr(now(),1,22));
ERROR:  Function to_timestamp(text) does not exist
        Unable to identify a function that satisfies the given argument types
        You may need to add explicit typecasts
wats=# select date(substr(now(),1,22));
    date
 2003-09-19
(1 row)

Also I cant directly update my timestamp column as follows

update "WATS".users set to_rec_modified_date = substr(now(),1,22);

ERROR:  column "rec_modified_date" is of type timestamp without time zone but expression is of type text
 You will need to rewrite or cast the expression

Please help me with this.

Regards
Senthil Kumar S