Re: Architectural question - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Mike Sofen
Subject Re: Architectural question
Date
Re: Architectural question  (Moreno Andreo <moreno.andreo@evolu-s.it>)
List pgsql-performance

This is really an excellent conversation, and highlights the never-ending contemplation
of blob storage.  I've had to go through this dialog in two different industries - healthcare
and now genomics, creating a new EMR (electronic medical record) system and storing
and manipulating huge genomic data sets.

I have, in both cases, ended up leaving the blob-type data outside of the database.  Even
though, as Thomas mentioned, it requires more database and app code to manage, it
ends up allowing for both systems to be optimized for their respective duties.

In addition, the vastly smaller database sizes result in far faster backups and restores,
transactional replication maintains it's speed, and in general, I find the fault tolerant
behaviors to be excellent.

Yes, losing track of a file would be very bad, and...we're only storing things like xray photos
or ct scans (healthcare), or genomic processing results.  In both cases, usually, the results
can be recreated.  That said, I've never lost a file so haven't needed to pull on that lever.

My latest model is placing large genomic data onto the AWS S3 file system, keeping all of
the metadata inside the database.  It's working very well so far, but we're still in development.

Mike