Re: Help - corruption issue? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From tv@fuzzy.cz
Subject Re: Help - corruption issue?
Date
List pgsql-general
> Thanks Filip.
>
> I know which table it is. It's my largest table with over 125 million
> rows.
>
> All the others are less than 100,000 rows. Most are in fact less than
> 25,000.
>
> Now, which specific part of the table is corrupted -- if it is row
> data, then can I dump specific parts of that table? How? Pg_dumpall
> does not seem to have an option to have a "WHERE" clause?
>
> If the lead index is corrupt, then issuing a reindex should work. So I
> disconnected all other users. The DB was doing nothing. And then I
> started a psql session and issued the command "reindex database MYDB".
> After 3 hours, I see this error:
>

> [QUOTE]
>     This probably means the server terminated abnormally
>     before or while processing the request.
> The connection to the server was lost. Attempting reset: WARNING:
> terminating connection because of crash of another server process
> DETAIL:  The postmaster has commanded this server process to roll back
> the current transaction and exit, because another server process
> exited abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory.
> HINT:  In a moment you should be able to reconnect to the database and
> repeat your command.
> Failed.
> !>
> [/UNQUOTE]
>

> What am I to do now? Even reindex is not working. I can try to drop
> indexes and create them again. Will that help?

It might help, but as someone already pointed out, you're running a
version that's 3 years old. So do a hot file backup (stop the db and copy
the data directory to another machine), check the hardware (especially the
RAID controller and RAM), upgrade to the latest 8.2.x version and then try
again.

I'll post a bit more info into the other thread, as it's related to the
reindex performance and not to this issue.

regards
Tomas