Re: Google Summer of Code: question about GiST API advancementproject - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrey Borodin
Subject Re: Google Summer of Code: question about GiST API advancementproject
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi!

> 5 апр. 2019 г., в 14:07, GUO Rui <ruig2@uci.edu> написал(а):
>
> I drafted my proposal about the above topic at
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1X7Lw-c0rLYuSjwLNfw6qXpN5Cf1_0u2gXtgEgLkNezA/edit?usp=sharing . Looking forward to
yourfeedback.
I'd recommend planning some time to review other patches. If you plan to post your patches to commitfest, you are
expectedto review work some work of comparable complexity of others.

> 1. The case that the volume of an MBB is 0 should be very rare
Nope, if you index data points tend to cluster on grid-alligned planes (which happens with geo data, all points have
sameheight above ocean) if always have zero volume of MBB.

BTW look at PostGIS, they are main GiST users, so indexing their data is important.

Best regards, Andrey Borodin.