Re: Deprecating RULES - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Johnston
Subject Re: Deprecating RULES
Date
List pgsql-hackers

While I agree with this sentiment to some degree in order for the community
to thrive new developer blood needs to be introduced periodically.  Not that
this feature is particularly an issue but making the codebase easier to
learn and maintain has considerable value in its own right.

To put a different spin on things it is like CREATE RULE is a specialty
tool.  Taken that way we should strictly describe the uses-cases where
CREATE RULE behavior is well-defined and problem free.  If the end-user
isn't trying to use RULEs in exactly those cases then they are advised to
attempt another solution or send an e-mail to the list to get some expert
opinions on that particular use-case.  Known problematic uses can also be
listed to minimize the amount of "not listed, what do y'all think" e-mails
sent to the list.  In this setup there is some developer obligation to try
and not break those "well-defined" use-cases; but that exists today even if
it is not explicitly mentioned.

David J.