Re: Locking a table read-only temporarilty - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Laurenz Albe
Subject Re: Locking a table read-only temporarilty
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 2022-03-31 at 15:20 -0400, Digimer wrote:
> I've been looking up locking, and perhaps I'm being dense, but I'm struggling to figure out
> how to create a lock to make a table read-only for a short period of time.
>  I want to set a table to be read-only, so that any other clients that try to UPDATE
> or INSERT will hold until the lock is released. I've been reading;
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/explicit-locking.html
>   But I'm not sure which lock would be what I want, and I don't see how to release
> the lock when finished. Could someone hit me with a clue-stick?

You'd have to start a transaction and

  LOCK tab IN SHARE MODE;

Commit the transaction to release the lock.

However, it is a bad idea to keep transactions with high locks open for a long time.
Your real problem might have a better answer.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe