"AS" by the syntax of table reference.(8.4 proposal) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hiroshi Saito
Subject "AS" by the syntax of table reference.(8.4 proposal)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi all.

I thinks to the option of "AS" by the syntax of table reference.
The problem on structure had restricted it until now. Then,
conversion was required of this by the degree of migration from
other DBMS's. It was irritated a little.
I understood that it was an option in SQL2003 and SQL99.

--
<SQL2003>  7.6 <table reference> (p303)  <table or query name> [ [ AS ] <correlation name>
--

I propose this. However, postfix operators is troublesome.
Therefore, This is the inclusion with restriction.

<about regression error of the after patch>
This is as a result of after patch apply of CVS-HEAD regression.
The cause changed the error position of a grammar interpretation.

--   plpgsql              ... FAILED

========================1 of 114 tests failed.
========================

*** ./expected/plpgsql.out      Wed Jul 25 13:19:09 2007
--- ./results/plpgsql.out       Fri Jan 25 14:29:34 2008
***************
*** 2337,2343 ****     end loop;     return 5; end;$$ language plpgsql;
! ERROR:  syntax error at or near "fought" LINE 1:  select I fought the law, the law won                   ^ QUERY:
selectI fought the law, the law won

--- 2337,2343 ----     end loop;     return 5; end;$$ language plpgsql;
! ERROR:  syntax error at or near "the" LINE 1:  select I fought the law, the law won                          ^ QUERY:
 select I fought the law, the law won

<about postfix operator problem>
There is syntax which is not passed. However, It is necessary to make
it c_expr expression. Probably, it is avoided by cautions of a document.

--
regression=# SELECT aa AS "X" FROM a_star LIMIT 1;X
---1

regression=# SELECT aa ! AS "X" FROM a_star LIMIT 1;X
---1
(1 row)

regression=# SELECT aa ! "X" FROM a_star LIMIT 1;
ERROR:  column "X" does not exist
LINE 1: SELECT aa ! "X" FROM a_star LIMIT 1;                   ^
regression=# SELECT (aa !) "X" FROM a_star LIMIT 1;X
---1
(1 row)
--

BTW, this is the syntax which ORACLE and SQLServer don't accept.
It may be the wonderfulness of PostgreSQL. However, Is there any

In conclusion, Therefore, this will be left to vote.

Regards,
Hiroshi Saito