Re: Plpgsql function to compute "every other Friday" - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Johnston
Subject Re: Plpgsql function to compute "every other Friday"
Date
List pgsql-general
It is a very simplistic approach since you do not take into account
holidays.  But if it meets your needs what you want is the modulo operator (
"%"; "mod(x,y)" is the equivalent function ) which performs division but
returns only the remainder.

N % 14 = [a number between 0 and (14 - 1)]

N = 7; 7 % 14 = 7 (0, 7 remainder)
N = 14; 14 % 14 = 0 (1, 0 remainder)
N = 28; 28 % 14 = 0  (2, 0 remainder)
N = 31; 31 % 14 = 3 (2, 3 remainder)

If you KNOW the epoch date you are using is a Friday then you have no need
for CURRENT_DATE since you are passing in a date to check as a function
parameter.

I'll have to leave it to you or others to address the specific way to
integrate the modulo operator/function into the algorithm.

David J.