Re: Show method of index - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From decibel
Subject Re: Show method of index
Date
Re: Show method of index  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On May 19, 2009, at 10:27 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> On May 19, 2009, at 10:02 AM, Greg Stark
>> <greg.stark@enterprisedb.com>
>> wrote:
>>> One advantage of the current arrangement is that the constraints and
>>> triggers are almost (though not quite) in the same form as the
>>> command to create them. It would be sad to lose that competely.
>
>> Agreed.
>
> +1 --- I *very* often find myself copying-and-pasting from \d output,
> and the proposed tabular format would be a huge step backwards for
> that.  Personally I kinda wish that the column display were closer
> to what CREATE TABLE wants ...

Hmm.... what if we made the default to be all-tabular output, but had
a different command that would spit out the SQL to re-create something?

(I agree that the cut-and-paste ability is extremely handy and
wouldn't want to remove it.)
--
Decibel!, aka Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect  decibel@decibel.org