Re: Show method of index - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Show method of index
Date
List pgsql-hackers
decibel <decibel@decibel.org> writes:
> On May 19, 2009, at 10:27 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> +1 --- I *very* often find myself copying-and-pasting from \d output,
>> and the proposed tabular format would be a huge step backwards for
>> that.  Personally I kinda wish that the column display were closer
>> to what CREATE TABLE wants ...

> Hmm.... what if we made the default to be all-tabular output, but had
> a different command that would spit out the SQL to re-create something?

Well, we already have something that's intended to recreate stuff;
it's called pg_dump.  The issue from my point of view is trying to
reproduce problems based on what people post to the lists --- which
very often is \d output.  It will not help me if there is some
nondefault variant of \d that emits clean SQL, because that won't be
what gets posted.