postgres server crash - Mailing list pgsql-hackers-win32

From Prabin Gade
Subject postgres server crash
Date
List pgsql-hackers-win32
Hi all,

I am running DBT2 benchmarks on a 4 way Win 2003 server when the postgres server process crashes. Then I tried on a 1 GB P4 desktop running XP and could reproduce the problem quite often. The error message is at the end of this mail.

I did the following to dig more into the problem:
  • The server crashes with default postgresql.conf parameters
  • I tried to get more log info by turned few log params in postgresql.conf file and ran it for only 1 connection. To my surprise there was no crash and the entire DBT2 ran successfully.
  • Then I started making the log params one by one default so that I can zero on the log param which is making it pass. I see turning log_min_error_statement to a debug level is not causing server crash for 1 connection.
  • Then I tried to increase the no. of connections to 20 and see that it crashes always.
I had run the DBT2 tests on the same box on SLES 9.0 without any problems. Hence I suspect this is a win32 port problem.

It seems the server is crashing on a wait. Anyone else faced this problem/any reasons for this failure ?

"LOG:  server process (PID 940) was terminated by signal 5
LOG:  terminating any other active server processes
WARNING:  terminating connection because of crash of another server process
DETAIL:  The postmaster has commanded this server process to roll back the curre
nt transaction and exit, because another server process exited abnormally and po
ssibly corrupted shared memory.
HINT:  In a moment you should be able to reconnect to the database and repeat yo
ur command.