Re: Is there a continuous backup for pg ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Steve Atkins
Subject Re: Is there a continuous backup for pg ?
Date
List pgsql-general
> On Mar 2, 2018, at 11:05 AM, Gary M <garym@oedata.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I have an unusual requirement for schema based, live backup of a 24/7 database processing 100K inserts/updates per
hour.The data store is around 100TB.

> The requirement is supporting an incremental backup of 10 minute windows.  Replication is not considered backup from
maliciousaction.

> Are there any best practices or solutions that can meet these requirements ?

Sounds almost like you're looking for point-in-time recovery, which will let you restore an entire cluster to any time
inthe past (if you can afford the storage), using physical replication.

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/continuous-archiving.html

There are several sets of third-party tools that'll help with the setup, monitoring and other tooling. Look for
omnipitror pitrtools.

(I'd guess you could build something similar that would let you do logical recovery by recording changesets from a
logicalreplication connection, but I don't know if anyone has put that together.)

Cheers,
  Steve