Re: Sort problem - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Samuel J. Sutjiono
Subject Re: Sort problem
Date
List pgsql-sql
Bruce,

My apology. Actually I posted the wrong problem. Here is my problem:

IF (SortOrder = ''price'') Then
BEGIN
 For rec_set IN
   SELECT * from Catalog where ((VendorName ~* SearchString)
   ORDER BY CASE WHEN SortOrder = ''store'' Then VendorName
                                 WHEN SortOrder = ''category'' Then
ProductCategory Else Price END

Here is the error message:
ERROR:  CASE types "numeric" and "varchar" not matched.

By the way, do you know how to do a variable (that contains 'attribute name'
instead of 'attribute value') substitution. For instance, if the attribute
name 'Price' is passed to the sort parameter ($1) so I can just do ORDER BY
$1 instead of doing case statement.

Thanks so much for your help.
Sam