initdb error - Mailing list pgsql-general

From William Goldsmith
Subject initdb error
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi:

I'm installing Postgres 6.5.3 & got the following error, which I saw
mentioned many times in mailing list postings (which I had to access through
a google search, since the archives search function on the postgres site is
broken...) - no solution was ever posted, however.

[postgres@pork62 pgsql]$ initdb
initdb: using /usr/local/pgsql/lib/local1_template1.bki.source as input to
create the template database.
initdb: using /usr/local/pgsql/lib/global1.bki.source as input to create the
global classes.
initdb: using /usr/local/pgsql/lib/pg_hba.conf.sample as the host-based
authentication control file.

We are initializing the database system with username postgres (uid=100).
This user will own all the files and must also own the server process.

Creating Postgres database system directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/base

initdb: creating template database in /usr/local/pgsql/data/base/template1
Running: postgres -boot -C -F -D/usr/local/pgsql/data -Q template1
        syntax error 2334 : parse error
Creating global classes in /base
Running: postgres -boot -C -F -D/usr/local/pgsql/data -Q template1

Adding template1 database to pg_database...
Running: postgres -boot -C -F -D/usr/local/pgsql/data -Q template1 <
/tmp/create.20010
ERROR:  pg_atoi: error in "template1": can't parse "template1"
ERROR:  pg_atoi: error in "template1": can't parse "template1"
initdb: could not log template database
initdb: cleaning up.

What's up?
thanks