Re: Re: VACUUM and 24/7 database operation - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Steve Wolfe
Subject Re: Re: VACUUM and 24/7 database operation
Date
List pgsql-general
> Shouldn't it be possible to build vacuum as an ongoing internal PG
process,
> instead of a seperate operation? How does Oracle byepass this? Must be
some
> way that can be implemented.

  Well, here's what it comes down to:  Do you want updates to happen
quickly, and vacuum when load is low, or do you want updates to be slow all
the time?  I suppose that there are some sites that can't find two minutes
per day when updates will block (not selects), but I imagine they're very
few.

steve