Re: TAP output format in pg_regress - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Daniel Gustafsson
Subject Re: TAP output format in pg_regress
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On 22 Feb 2022, at 18:13, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> On 2022-02-22 15:10:11 +0100, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:

>> The errorpaths that exit(2) the testrun should be converted to "bail out" lines
>> when running with TAP output, but apart from that I think it's fairly spec
>> compliant.
>
> I'd much rather not use BAIL - I haven't gotten around to doing anything about
> it, but I really want to get rid of nearly all our uses of bail:

Point.  We already error out on stderr in pg_regress so we could probably make
die() equivalent output to keep the TAP parsing consistent.  At any rate,
awaiting the conclusions on the bail thread and simply (for some value of)
replicating that in this patch is probably the best option?