Re: make default field entry NULL? - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From John Taylor
Subject Re: make default field entry NULL?
Date
List pgsql-novice
On Thursday 23 May 2002 10:27, Rory Campbell-Lange wrote:
> I'm just starting out using postgresql in specific and sql in general.
>
> I have a table some of whose fields may not be filled in a normal
> INSERT, but may be needed at some future time.
>
> I am aware that the whole are of NULLs is somewhat controversial, but
> unsure if this means I should implement these in my tables.

Generally NULL means "I don't know what the value is", so that sounds
a good value to use for these.

I'm not sure what you mean by "implementing" NULL.
You don't need to do anything, just don't set the values.

> I am driving the databases through perl DBI.

I don't use perl DBI, but I don't think that should make any difference.

JohnT