Re: [SQL] Difficult SQL Statement - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tim Barnard
Subject Re: [SQL] Difficult SQL Statement
Date
List pgsql-general
I was able to do this, but not with a simple query :-(
Here's the solution I came up with. Perhaps someone else
knows an easier way to do this?

Using your table (called 'RESULTS' in my example):

test=# select ASMT_CODE,count(*)::float4 as TOTAL into tmp1 from RESULTS
group by ASMT_CODE;

Table tmp1 will look like this (if you do a "select * from tmp1"):

ASMT_CODE   TOTAL
-----------------+---------
1                        | 4
2                        | 3
3                        | 3
4                        | 2

test=# select ASMT_CODE,count(*)::float4 as PASSED into tmp2 from RESULTS
where STATUS='PASSED' group by ASMT_CODE;

Table tmp2 will look like this:

ASMT_CODE   PASSED
----------------+-----------
1                       | 3
2                       | 2
3                       | 1
4                       | 1

test=# select tmp2.ASMT_CODE,tmp2.PASSED/tmp1.TOTAL as PCT into tmp3 from
tmp1 natural join tmp2;

Table tmp3 will look like this:

ASMT_CODE   PCT
----------------+-------
1                       | 0.75
2                       | 0.666667
3                       | 0.333333
4                       | 0.5

test=# select tmp3.ASMT_CODE,tmp2.PASSED,tmp1.TOTAL,tmp3.PCT from tmp1
natural join tmp2 natural join tmp3;

And finally, this select will look like this:

ASMT_CODE   PASSED   TOTAL   PCT
1                       | 3               | 4          | 0.75
2                       | 2               | 3          | 0.666667
3                       | 1               | 3          | 0.333333
4                       | 1               | 2          | 0.5

To my thinking there's got to be a better way to do this whithout so many
temporary tables. Unfortunately my SQL knowledge isn't far enough along to
see the way out ;-)

Tim