multiple PostgresQL installations - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Matthew Lunnon
Subject multiple PostgresQL installations
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi all,

We're running multiple PostgresQL database installations, each on a separate port. This works fine and

psql -p <port number> template1

works and connects to the correct instance of the database.

We have a problem with JDBC connections though. We have an application that uses Resin and connects to the database via a jdbc driver. When we use, for example:

jdbc:postgresql://<server>:5436/<database name>, it fails to connect with "No database available" errors, implying it can't see any database on that port. Connecting to a database on the standard postgresql port works fine, as long as you don't specify the port number in the connection string. This is all on one box, so firewalls etc aren't an issue.

We're using PostgresQL 7.3.4 with the pg73jdbc3.jar jdbc driver. If anyone has any ideas what the problem might be I'd be grateful for some pointers....

Thanks
Matthew