Re: pg_pconnect - ?? - Mailing list pgsql-php

From Mitch Vincent
Subject Re: pg_pconnect - ??
Date
List pgsql-php
*smile* -- you'd be crazy surprised at how many people say "Indexes? What
are those?" and "Oh, you mean I *should* VACUUM ANALYZE ?".. It's become
second nature to assume the worst! Sorry!

Glad to know you have things under control -- good luck :-)

-Mitchell

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Ruprecht" <chrup999@yahoo.com>
To: "Mitch Vincent" <mitch@doot.org>
Cc: "PostGreSQL PHP Group" <pgsql-php@postgresql.org>
Sent: Monday, January 28, 2002 4:13 PM
Subject: Re: [PHP] pg_pconnect - ??

<Grin> - yes, I do the indexing and all that good stuff - even
casting the variables on my select statements. But no matter what you
do, it takes time to go through half a million records and add them
up in a certain way (sub totals when a value changes). I made sure
that I have the right indexes and that they are selected, when I do
the 'select'. I'm not new to databases & sql and all that stuff, just
new to PHP. I also don't allow the user to enter SQL statements
directly or let them do dynamic queries where they can specify their
own 'where' or 'order by' or stuff like that.

At 15:12 -0700 01/28/2002, Mitch Vincent wrote:
>  > The most traffic the user creates is when they change their rate
>>  table, they might add 20 to 50 rates at per week. I could run that
>>  stuff of an old 100 MHz Pentium with 16 MB RAM, if I had to and they
>>  would probably not see and performance issues. However, some of the
>>  bills they have process 500'000 line items at a time, this is where I
>>  need the horsepower - but at that stage, the connection is already
>>  made. The query runs across 4 tables and sometimes takes up to 4
>>  minutes.
>
>If you post schema and queries then perhaps we could help you get that time
>down a bit? Pardon the questions but you're indexing, VACUUM ANALYZE ' ing
>and using EXPLAIN to see what your query plans are -- right?
>
>I guess if we're going to open this can of worms we'd better take the
>conversation to pg-general though...

Uhmm - no need :).

Best regards,
Chris
--
Chris Ruprecht
Network grunt and bit pusher extraordinaíre