Fw: Postgresql 7 does not always start on RH 6.2 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Warren Flemmer
Subject Fw: Postgresql 7 does not always start on RH 6.2
Date
List pgsql-general
Thanks Tom

In the messages log I found
-PAM-pwdb[464]: (su) session opened for user postgres by (uid=0)
-PAS_pwdb[464]: (su) session closed for user postres

Also in /var/log there are files called postgresql but unzipped they all
have size zero.

The line in /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql that I think is starting postgresql
is
su -l postgres -c "/usr/bin/pg_ctl -D $PGDATA -p /usr/bin/postmaster start
>/dev/null 2>&1"

from this I assume that it is not being started with -S (silent). Looking at
the man pages for postmaster it seems to imply that the logfile would be
/dev/null. I am afraid this is a little beyond my knowledge of linux.
Editing the file and changing /dev/null to say /var/log/something produces
an access denied.

How do I find this log file or alter the script to produce a log file?

Regards
Warren