Re: psql with PHP question - Mailing list pgsql-php

From Gyozo Papp
Subject Re: psql with PHP question
Date
List pgsql-php
Hello,

just some more word :

> > In my opinion, these queries make the same :
> > SELECT id FROM article WHERE id=(SELECT MAX(id) FROM article);
> > SELECT MAX(id) FROM article;
> >
> > but the latter one is much more simple and you do not overload your pg.
> > (by the way, I think id = (SELECT ...) isn't handled gracefully.)
>
> Hi, although I agreee with the first part: the subselect is redundat in
> this case, I don't understand de second one. The subselect will return one
> value, or am I wrong? So, I think the operator = will be correct, or not?

I mean the second sentence that I don't think the planner/optimizer is so clever to reduce the former query to the
latterone.
You're right the sublselect will return one value, but as far as I know this value should be interpreted as a set of
onevalue (because of the select).