Re: [ADMIN] slower every day - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Michael Paesold
Subject Re: [ADMIN] slower every day
Date
List pgsql-performance
This issue was resently discussed on hackers. It is a known issue, not very
convinient for the user. Nevertheless it is not fixed in 8.0, but will
perhaps be addressed in the next major release.
(Remembering, it was a non-trivial thing to change.)

Best Regards,
Michael Paesold

G u i d o B a r o s i o wrote:

> The solution appeared as something I didn't know
>
>   On the .conf file
>
> Previous situation:
>
> #log_something=false
> log_something=true
>
> Worst situation
> #log_something=false
> #log_something=true
>
> Nice situation
> log_something=false
> #log_something=true
>

> Ok, the problem was that I assumed that commenting a value on
> the conf file will set it up to a default (false?). I was wrong.
> My server was writting tons of log's.
>
> Is this the normal behavior for pg_ctl reload? It seems that looks for new
values, remembering the last state on the ones that actually are commented.
Although it's my fault to have 2 (tow) lines for the same issue, and that I
should realize that this is MY MISTAKE, the log defaults on a reload, if
commented, tend to be the last value entered?