Re: explain analyze cost - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ron
Subject Re: explain analyze cost
Date
List pgsql-general
On 12/12/2018 04:37 PM, Ravi Krishna wrote:
I am running explain analyze cost on a SQL which reads from two large tables (122mil and 37 mil).  The query is an UPDATE SQL where we use derives table in the from clause and then join it back to the table being updated.

The explain analyze cost itself is taking forever to run. It is running for the last 1 hr. Does that actually run the SQL to find out the impact of I/O (as indicated in COSTS).

Yes.

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/sql-explain.html

"The ANALYZE option causes the statement to be actually executed, not only planned."

If not, what can cause it to run this slow.