Re: [HACKERS] Multivariate statistics and expression indexes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tomas Vondra
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Multivariate statistics and expression indexes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 02/21/2017 12:13 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> At the risk of asking a stupid question, we already have optimizer
> statistics on expression indexes.  In what sense are we using this for
> multi-variate statistics, and in what sense can't we.

We're not using that at all, because those are really orthogonal
features. Even with expression indexes, the statistics are per
attribute, and the attributes are treated as independent.

There was a proposal to also allow creating statistics on expressions
(without having to create an index), but that's not supported yet.

regards