RE: Re: [SQL] behavior of ' = NULL' vs. MySQL vs. Standards - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Mike Mascari
Subject RE: Re: [SQL] behavior of ' = NULL' vs. MySQL vs. Standards
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

> Does Access only talk to Postgres via ODBC?  (Seems plausible, but
> don't know.)  What about people copying-and-pasting queries
generated
> by Access; is it even possible?

1. Yes, Access only talkes to Postgres via ODBC.

2. The queries generate by Access which use the '= NULL' vs. 'IS
NULL' language are only generated through the use of Access Forms,
when some attempts to fetch a record through the forms interface
where the key of the linked table is an empty edit control. When
access generates queries, it correctly generates 'IS NULL' language.
It is a *very specific problem* WRT the user of Access Forms.

> I doubt that this'd really help much, in any case; it merely moves
the
> necessary switch from the backend to ODBC.

It seems to me that is where it belongs. The ODBC driver is already
doing translation of some Access functions not found in PostgreSQL
such as LCASE->lower, etc. The kludge isn't found in any other RDBMS
of which I am aware (certainly not Oracle), and yet Access works fine
with them,

Just MHO of course,

Mike Mascari
mascarm@mascari.com