RE: looping through results of a SELECT - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Michael Davis
Subject RE: looping through results of a SELECT
Date
List pgsql-sql
Try using aggregate functions.  Creating your own aggregate function is
fairly easy and can produce the exact results you are looking for.   In
case this is not good enough, here is an example of some code I used to
loop through rows in a table in pl/pgsql

CREATE FUNCTION pending_post_transaction(int) RETURNS int AS '  DECLARE     pMemberID ALIAS for $1;     pl
record;    rc        int;  BEGIN     if (pMemberID is null) then        RAISE NOTICE ''MemberID is null'';
return0;     end if;     select count(*) into rc from Pending P where P.MemberID = pMemberID;     if (rc > 0) then
else       RAISE NOTICE ''No rows to process'';        return 0;     end if;     FOR pl IN select * from Pending where
MemberID= pMemberID LOOP        if (pl.InventoryID > 0) then  -- InventoryID is a column in the

Pending table            ...        else            RAISE NOTICE "The InventoryID is empty, skipping the update";
    return 0;        end if;        if (pl.SpecialArrangement >= 0) then -- SpecialArrangement is also

a column in the Pending table            ...        end if;     END LOOP;     return rc;  END;'  LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';