Serious problem with the odbc driver and VFP - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Willy De la Court
Subject Serious problem with the odbc driver and VFP
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
After byron fixed the odbc driver to version 0009 I could use foxpro
perfectly with small tables.

Now another problem surfaces.
I think the guys that wrote VFP only had microsoft SQL server in mind
because when using the vfp interface to create views they frequently use
SQLPREPARE "SELECT * FROM TABLE" and then use SQLNumResultCols to get a
result.

For small tables this is no problem but if you have a multi megabyte table
with about 50000 records in you do have a problem.
SQLPREPARE works OK but when VFP executes SQLNumResultCols directly after
the Prepare the odbc driver submits the "SELECT * FROM TABLE" to the
backend effectively executing the query. Result is 2 minutes waiting time
and sometimes memory error on the backend.

Any ideas how to solve this problem.